Saturday, May 07, 2005

First Blog

This is my first blog message. I am keeping a blog so that I can get a structured record of everything I've done in the past. I'll keep this one a bit long since it's a summary of my last year.

Currently I'm living in Cambridge, UK. Cambridge is a cute, small and boring town. Apart from work, I usually spend my time at home doing computing work, lots of reading, drinking coffee and staring at the fantastic flower garden in front of me so its not too bad.

Last year I was a graduate who had written a lot of exams; on cryptography, computer architecture(Itanium2!), prolog(I always wondered how they schedule class timetables), OOP (virtual function tables in MI, JVM execution were the only interesting bits for me) , program analysis (data flow analysis set-theory notation), parallel algorithms(thought me what scalability really is) to name a few. I had also done an independent study option on run-time reconfiguration methods of FPGAs. As a summer project I converted a C++ motion estimation algorithm into Handel-C, a C-like language my supervisor developed earlier in Oxford University Hardware Compilation group. Handel-C basically converts C constructs into hardware, so you write code with hardware awareness, pipelining etc. My version was a "debug" version of the algorithm, totally unoptimised for hardware. But it was a good start.

Now, the problem was that I had no OS design courses/reading whatsoever. Nor I had the time to do any reading on that. So, in the summer I've read Andrew Tanenbaum's OS book on and on. Again. I also had to freshen up my C skills after doing all those long Prolog assignments. It was the time that I really decided not to do anything apart from programming in C rest of my computing life. Oh, also in 24th of February, (my birthday) in the unsuccessful interview with ARM, it turned out that I really dont know much about linking. Although it seems its a dull process, I think linking is very important because it helps you understand how memory works. So as a result I've also went half-way through "Linkers and Loaders". Unfortunately its the only book that covers the topic that I'm aware of, and its such a practical topic that you feel a bit like you're lacking hands-on experience while reading it.

Finally before my employment started here, I went to Gokova in Turkey with my mother for vacation. There's a restaurant called Azmakkapi. There, the river is on your one side, the trees to your right. A cat in your lap, ducks playing in the water, delicious (as always) Turkish stir-fry in front, and hot, sunny weather with a warm breeze. In this lovely environment, I've read the initial chapters of The Design and Implementation of 4.4BSD Operating System. It started to make sense. I began reading that book because I thought its the most reasonable Unix OS book to read after reading Tanenbaum's one. So that's how my last year ended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home