Saturday, May 14, 2005

L4 - 2

I got the L4 0.4 sources. It doesn't look like aggressive C++. In fact its fairly light C++, with some bits in C, and assembly.

The most important thing about it for me is that, it's a micro-kernel architecture that has a managable size code-base for reading/understanding, it's already ported to ARM, already implements FASS, and its designed well after Mach and derivatives.

I was thinking that OSX would be good example for me after linux, since it includes features from both FreeBSD and Mach, and its a re-engineered, re-designed version. However if I'm to be rational, it wouldn't form a good initial base for me to start. It's probably too big to handle in a short time, and I would most likely get lost in the details. Also porting it to ARM or things like that would be pointless, let alone the fact that most low-level code is PowerPC specific.

I shouldn't touch this issue because I haven't read enough to compare the two yet, but probably L4's design is superior to Mach, as it's a 2nd generation micro-kernel design that started from the failings of Mach and the like.

Conclusion: L4 seems to be the best place to start to play with.

Anyways, I read the GAS manual today to get started with assembler directives etc. It covers quite a bit on ld too! Its nice that you can control the linking process a big deal from the assembler.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home