Sunday, May 29, 2005

Bank holiday, Again!

These UK bank holidays are really nice. Its the third one this year, and I'll make the best out of it. Today (Saturday) I've finished reading SLOS and the GNU As manual. The manual itself is 250 pages, however its a manual. So I skipped all the bits unrelated to ARM, and it wasn't that long. I also went through the parts I read before. I made a sketch of the memory map of E7T, and also how SLOS uses it in the book. SLOS is very simple, just for illustrative purposes, it sets a TCB for each task, sets task stacks, installs an IRQ, a timer for preemptive scheduler (being reminded of how simple this is, its amazing how a big company like Apple managed a cooperative scheduler so long) and that's more or less it. The tasks are static, and linked with the OS, which itself only merely exists.

I feel more competent now with binaries, loading the interrupt handler etc. My intention is to get more familiar with assembly using GAs, and practice a bit on OS implementation. So I am going to write something like SLOS, but with a default prompt through UART, and tasks will be loaded (well merely copied as is) from flash into SRAM. I will also have a simple malloc, statically linked in to tasks. Lets see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home