Thursday, May 26, 2005

NetBSD and L4 built

Today (well 5 minutes ago), I built both NetBSD2.0 and L4::Pistachio 0.4 kernels on my AMD64-linux host. It was suprisingly easy, as I had no errors, and I didn't prepare a toolchain or anyhting. Well, I had an arm-elf and arm-none-eabi toolchains ready, but chances were that I had to set a CC variable etc. but I didn't. NetBSD built its own arm-netbsd-elf toolchain in the first place. I think its the courtesy of NetBSD people who did the build system such that it built with no hassles. I'm not that suprised with L4 as its just 10,000 lines of code anyway.

Now two lucky things for me: The first is that NetBSD supports Integrator platform. Its lucky because I have a much easier task now to try and enhance the support. The second good thing is that L4 supports ARM926EJS. This is also very nice, because I'm not going to have to set up a VM system from scratch. This would have been difficult since I never wrote/implemented code that uses VM and caches. So it's easy to learn from a readily-made, yet simple and compact example such as L4.

3rd thing today: I found out about Greg-KH's blog. Its interesting reading. What I like about him is that he doesn't seem to be arrogant, he answers questions in kernelnewbies and spends his time answering new starters. He answered back to me twice too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home