Sunday, June 05, 2005

Along came Tarik

Tarik came to visit this weekend, so I didn't do any work. He did give me a long time on my own, though. He re-assured that he still has his amazing sleeping habit. He slept at around 7PM, which made me sleepy, I also had a nap for an hour. After that I woke up for a while, had a phone call, then I woke him up around 9PM, because he wouldn't be able to sleep during the night, if he would continue. But, that wasn't the case, he insisted on sleeping, which I had nothing to say. So he went on a deep sleep again, during which I read a few papers on RTR. A company has actually made a reconfigurable computing hardware for which you can design C and a HW language co-design - which isn't that much of a suprising technology nowadays, but interesting things is they acquired a patent for it such that no-one can use a similar approach, and accelerate web server operations using a reconfigurable hardware architecture similar to theirs.

Anyways, I went to sleep around 00:30 AM. Then me and Tarik both woke up 11:30AM in the morning. So he basically slept for 11:30 + 12-7 = 16,5 hours! He just did it again. But he hadn't slept for the last couple of days I think.

Secondly I just learned that I should assemble my binary carefully because elf-to-binary conversion is a rough and tough one. I was expecting that all services an elf-loader provides such as zeroing out the .bss, loading sections into various addresses etc. would be lost as you have nothing but a raw binary file. I confirmed this is true. It's unlikely your binary would work because all relocation etc. is just lost when you convert. So what I need to do is write my own routines to copy .text into various places, use PIC as much as possible in code that scatter-loads, and relocate global references in my own code. I have absolutely no experience in this but after I learn how to, it shouldn't be too hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home